Kingdoms of Antiquity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingdoms of Antiquity

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Khani Emirate

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Talis
Admin

Khani Emirate Empty
PostSubject: Khani Emirate   Khani Emirate Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 am

Grand Wazier Rahman ibn Fard always felt uncomfortable when attending to the Amira. She had none of her father's poise and grandiose presentation, that magnetic air of command that filled men's hearts with awe. No, she had a languid, almost indolent posture, leaning to one side with crossed legs on a jeweled throne too big for her. Her expression a mixture of hawkish awareness and recessive thoughtfulness. The golden, gem-studded headband; necklaces; and numerous rings implied the royalty which her demeanor failed to convey. When first she had taken the role of Amira, Rahman had not expected her to last a week. Then she had ordered seven men executed in that same week.

He doubted her no longer.

"Constantine Palagious, the crown prince of Ezria, is of marriageable age. He is not much younger than yourself, and a marriage with him would cement a great alliance between Ezria and our people."

"No."

My lady?"

"Ezria is too large and too powerful. If I were to marry the crown prince it would grant them a claim to the Emirate. I will not allow us to become a meager vassel of the Ezrian empire. And besides that, we have nothing to gain from such an alliance. Ezria's armies would be useless half a continent away, and allying with them would gain us more enemies than friends."

Rahman sighed in exasperation. "Very well Amira. Perhaps someone of the Khaitis family..."

"Did I not just say that I would not become the vassal of an empire!" Rahman flinched at the outburst. He could not help but remember the poor men who had pushed a little too far and lost their heads for it. But what could he say? If she did not want to marry the heir to an empire, who else was an option, except one of the nobles from her own court?

"Is not Thane Gudrik of the Jonten unmarried?" The Amira asked. Rahman gasped in horror.

"That man is a barbarian and a butcher! He kills men for sport! His people are primitive! Surely you would not countenance marrying him?!"

"Why not?" The Amira asked pointedly, "He is a strong man who would make a great ally, yet he is not in line for the throne, and would provide the Jonten with no claim the Ikhan. The Jonten themselves are our equals: powerful, but not overmuch. Our combined navies would be stronger than every other kingdom's combined. Besides, it was not long ago that we ourselves were referred to as barbarians. We conquered these lands with blood, not fine words."

gods curse it, Rahman silently swore, she's right. As distasteful as his Amira marrying such a barbarian was, it could greatly benefit the Khani in the long run. Their merchant fleets would be safe, and no one would dare go up against a combined Khani/Jonten navy. He breathed in, exhaled, let the fear and disdain flow out with his breath. "Very well. I will send an emissary immediately."

"Very good. You are dismissed."
Back to top Go down
https://colonialinterests.rpg-board.net

Khani Emirate
Page 1 of 1